The Student News Site of Roger Williams University

The Hawks' Herald

The Hawks' Herald

The Hawks' Herald

New England Takes Country: Our Very Own Oklahoma!

M.T. & M.B.
Nicole Kowalewski plays Laurey Williams and Jack Lynch plays Curly.

Get transported 1,692 miles southwest of Bristol, Rhode Island into the comedic romance of Oklahoma! The story follows Curly in his quest to make headstrong Laurey his lover. Throughout the story we meet plenty of vivacious characters with their own trials and tribulations. The Barn was the perfect backdrop for this country production and left everyone feeling enthralled.

The fabulous actors’ representation of their characters left the barn never lacking laughter. The casting was impeccable and the deliverance was professional. Standout performances from the characters, Will Parker (played by Anthony Merenda) and Ali Hakim (played by Alecc Corrado) make this performance a must see. Our leading lady and fellow writer, Laurey Williams played by Nicole Kowalewski, brought softness and fairness to the stage with the most skillful vocals. Jack Lynch as Curly totally embodied a charming southern boy so much so we couldn’t help but want him to win the girl! From the songs to the choreography, every character brought excitement to the scene. Everyone injected colorful life into an 80 year old story. 

An especially notable part of the performance was the six person band. The live band elevated this production by never missing a beat. We especially appreciated how the band was dressed up and fitted in seamlessly with the scenes. The band didn’t just blend into the background but became a part of the scene as they conveyed the same emotions the audience was feeling. The stage had so much dimension to it and the band members were an enjoyable part of that.

If you asked us (experts on arts, culture, and personal opinions) we would rate Oklahoma! by Roger Williams a 10 out of 10, must see production! Catch their next performances April 24th, 26th, 27th, 2024.