Dancing the night away with the Dance Club

Dance Club performs onstage for their spring semester show. Courtesy of @Espoir_films on Instagram

As I entered the field house the crowd was practically buzzing with excitement. I had arrived almost half an hour before the show was set to start and already the seats were filled with people, hands full of signs and flowers for the dancers. The bleachers filled up quickly and there had to be an announcement made to tell people to move over and not take up too much space. I was lucky to get a seat only 4 rows back from the stage, but my ever-suffering photographer had to sit on the floor for most of the show. 10 minutes before the show was set to start they had to start adding more chairs.  

It was an understatement to say people were excited for the show. As the lights dimmed, cheers went out throughout the crowd, celebrating that the show was about to start. I was leaning to the side trying to see past the heads in front of me, when the music began playing and dozens of dancers ran onto the stage. It was finally time to see if all this wait had been worth it.   

It would be impossible to condense the almost 2-hour show that followed into just one article, so instead, I will just have to try and give you the highlights of the night. And perhaps that will be enough to inspire you to get tickets for their next show. 

Every dance that was performed was choreographed by a student at RWU and featured a variety of different dance styles. They performed everything from tap and ballet to high-heel dancing and hip hop, sprinkle in a couple of stunts and flips and you began to get a sense of how brimming with talent the performances were. 

With each new song, the dancers seemed to gain hypnotic control over the audience, switching them from yelling like they were at a sports game to gasping like they were watching a Shakespearean drama in just a few minutes. I was personally captivated by the Promiscuous girl dance battle, so much so that I forgot I was supposed to be taking notes. 

More highlights of the evening included the amazing costumes, which always matched perfectly with the song, and of course, Hawk’s Herald’s own Elizabeth Van Liew. Though I may be a little biased on that last one. 

But like all things, the show must eventually come to its end, and it certainly did not disappoint. After a presentation that included heartwarming messages for the graduating seniors, the audience was treated to the senior’s final performance as a part of the RWU dance club. There were tears in everyone’s eyes during the final bow, as many knew this would be the last time they would ever perform with their friends. 

But if you missed out, don’t worry the dance club will be back again next year, with new members, new choreographies, and new memories to be made. So check them out, I promise you won’t regret it.