Nor’easter rains on Roger’s homecoming weekend

Sage Shuster
Students painting and getting creative at homecoming weekend.

Homecoming Weekend was a time many students were waiting for with bated breath. Not only would this be the first time, for many, that they had seen their parents since moving in, but there were also dozens of fun events planned for the entire weekend. There was Bingo or Casino night on Friday, picnic lunches, autumn fest, magic shows on Saturday, and sports events all weekend long. This weekend was going to be perfect. Except for one small detail: the weather.

Luckily Friday’s plans, for the most part, went uninterrupted. Students got to finish class and then rushed back to their dorms where they looked at their phones for the text message saying their family had arrived. Hundreds of families piled into the rec center, safe from the rain, and chatting while competing for prizes at Bingo and Casino night. While there were some issues at the beginning the night passed by peacefully uninterrupted by the rain. It was on Saturday when the nor’easter hit that weather started affecting the plans.

On Saturday parents trudged through puddles and mud to get to the picnic lunch which had now been moved indoors. Tables were stuffed together so that they only filled half of the hill house, and many families had to stand with their food waiting for one of the few tables to open up. The other half of the hill house was being used for live music, family games, and a giant giraffe bouncy house which was tied up at the neck to the ceiling. If anyone was hoping to show their family around campus they were out of luck. The rain beat down like bullets all day, with no sign of slowing down till the evening. Even with an umbrella and rain jacket guests were soaked through if they spent more than a couple minutes outside. Once it came time for Autumn Fest the tables were removed to make way for themed crafts sponsored by different campus organizations. The loading dock was opened beside the stage so a carnival game and carnival-themed vendors could set up their trucks in the alleyway. With limited cover, families would race to get their food and then duck back inside. Once inside they could listen to several live performances, including one by our very own acapella group Hawkward.

The weekend closed off with significantly less rain and a couple of sports events, but most students spent the day at home, or out in Bristol with their families. After dinner, we all had to say good night and return to our dorms. It was a long weekend, filled with chaos, but also happiness and joy. While it was not the weekend that was planned it is one we will always remember.