Upper Commons meal hacks

Sydney Zobel
Brownie sundae hack for eating at Upper Commons.

From hidden mac and cheese to sweet dessert combos, here is the inside scoop on dining hall hacks!

Alexandra Cos, a Junior Marketing major and communications minor, and public relations intern for Bon Appetit at commons, has been working at upper since the September of her freshman year. Cos is better known as the “Queen of the Commons”, I asked her to reveal her best kept food secrets.

“We have a cheese pump by the grill, and it’s actually velveeta so it’s really good on plain pasta,” said Cos. 

I took it upon myself to try this cheesy dish and I can confirm its tastiness! To top it off, you can even sprinkle on some parmesan cheese. Inspired by my favorite menu item at the Cheesecake factory, I decided to take this hack one step further and put the mac and cheese on my cheeseburger. Delish!

Switching from savory to sweet, Cos suggests combining ice cream, chocolate syrup and a brownie to make a brownie sundae. This mouthwatering hack is definitely my favorite and is guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth. You can find me at upper strengthening my ice cream scooping arm! Be sure to microwave the brownie to get that extra warmth to complement the chill of the ice cream. 

Sofie Vangel, a sophomore Bio and environmental science major, introduced me to a specialty drink that initially grossed me out, but I’m so glad I gave it a chance. Vangel explains that “all you do is get a cup and fill it with Sherbert and then fill the rest up with ginger ale”. This refreshment takes me back to elementary school birthday parties with big punch bowls and floating sherbet.

Next time you find yourself feeling adventurous in upper, don’t hesitate to take a stab at these delicious hacks!

Mac and cheese hack for eating at Upper Commons. (Sydney Zobel)