The Design Club

Kristen Hearrold

Cailin Hurley and Neve Trigo crafting in Design Club

On a Wednesday afternoon in the School of Engineering, you can walk by a classroom and see and hear the hustle and bustle of a group of dedicated graphic design students working on what they love to do in the Design Club. 

President Kristen Hearrold and Vice President Ally Houle put in an application into the Student Senate in December 2022 to formally create the club. 

Houle said that forming the club was meant to give other students the opportunity to work in an environment similar to the Design Collective which is only offered to students who had Work Study included in their financial aid package. 

The goal of the Design Club is to “be a student-led studio environment for creative collaboration and experimentation” said Hearrold. 

Being a newer club, they have had three meetings where they have done various activities such as designing album covers and welcoming a guest speaker. 

Students can also share works in progress, experiences, opinions, and share knowledge and love for design and art, said Hearrold. 

Currently, the design club is working on comics to potentially put in the newspaper and giving students the opportunity to work on the risograph printer. 

The Design Club is not limited to graphic design majors, as all students are welcome, said Hearrold. Additionally, the Design Club is also open to faculty members who are interested. 

“I really just want as many people as possible to join. We are really open; we really want to collaborate with other majors and we want students to know that it is not just graphic design,” said Hearrold. 

If you are interested in joining the Design Club, the club meets Wednesday afternoons from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in SE122.