Club of the Week: Psychology Club

Members of the Psychology Club engaged during a meeting.

Psychology majors and minors have an excellent resource at Roger Williams University: the Psychology Club.

The club holds fundraisers, career panels, networking events, and goes to conferences. The Psychology Club also encourages students to explore different fields within psychology.

“Recently we made birthday cards for sick kids in hospitals through the Confetti Foundation,” said senior Diana Perez, president of the Psychology Club. “We are talking about touring a prison andwe are planning our next fundraiser, ‘Freud Fries,’ which we will be having in late April.”

The Psychology Club is dedicated to serving students interested in pursuing their passions in psychology. There are around 15 members who consistently come to meetings. However, the club has about 180 students on its email list who come to events and help with fundraisers.

During their meetings, they discuss ideas for fundraisers, guest speakers, and community service. Recently, a graduate admission counselor talked about different graduate programs and gave tips in regard to applying to them. They also ordered and distributed T-shirts to club members. The Psychology Club is excited for its upcoming fundraisers.

“We usually do at least two fundraisers a semester, one being a bake sale during the day in the College of Arts and Sciences, and one at night, which is our famous ‘Freud Fries,’” Perez said. “We sell plain, cheese, and loaded (bacon and cheese) fries.”

The club’s officers are Perez, junior Vice President Hailey Prechtel, senior Secretary Alicia Johnson, and junior Treasurer Alyssa Carroll. The club’s advisor is psychology professor and and graduate program director Judith Platania.

Meetings are held biweekly on Thursdays at 4 p.m. in Global Heritage Hall room 301.

“People are always welcome to our meetings,” Perez said. “We really focus on doing events that are useful and beneficial to our members, so new ideas are always welcomed.”