A Senior Spotlight: Sailor, Luke Hosek

Rob Migliaccio
Graduating male crew on the Roger Williams University Sailing team, Luke Hosek.

Luke Hosek is a graduating Skipper on the Roger Williams University Sailing team. When you meet Luke Hosek you’ll quickly realize that he is determined, innovative, and hard-working, which will guarantee him success in his future. Mr. Hosek is a wholehearted committed skipper whilst being an equally as passionate student in his unique areas of study. He is set apart amongst his peers as he has ambition and worldly skills. 

Mr. Hosek is graduating with a major in International Business and Management as well as a minor in Chinese. Luke grew up speaking Chinese at home in which he became fluent in speaking and understanding. He made the decision to continue his Chinese studies at Roger Williams to further develop his reading and writing skills. Mr. Hosek notes that it was in his initial Chinese classes with Professor Min Zhou that he was encouraged and influenced to continue his learning. Professor Min Zhou became a mentor to him in a world separate from his competitive sailing. Eventually Luke shared his time as a Chinese tutor in the tutoring center.

Luke shared with us that a pillar of his character and academic success is that he is always eager to learn. Luke told us, “The whole point of being on this Earth is to always learn and get better.” He believes that when you are learning you are experiencing something new which fuels his determination to try everything. Luke Hosek accredits his mindset to the lessons he’s learned within sailing: never give up, be consistent, and stay disciplined. Sailing has created the structure in Luke’s academic life and allows him to maintain a productive mindset. Mr. Hosek said that a lesson he learned throughout college sailing that he would take into the workforce is how to deal with unideal outcomes. He knows that you always have to move on after failure by knowing that there will always be another opportunity and a worthwhile takeaway. He told us that Roger Williams University has prepared him for society and he feels a tremendous difference in the person he is and what he is capable of doing. Mr. Hosek expressed greatly that sailing was the constant overarching connector of his education as it represents the long term commitment to learning and developing. 

This past summer Mr. Hosek held an internship as the Area Manager Intern, managing a distribution center that processed inbound packages. During this time he worked on a project focused on making the inbound processing facility more efficient. Mr. Hosek proposed and implemented throughout the process of developing a new work method that resulted in saving Amazon a few hundred thousand dollars annually. His new work method cut down the idle time of workers by 50% and also provided a safer work environment. Luke Hosek has since been offered and accepted a full-time position at Amazon post-graduation. His innovation and critical thinking have deservingly been recognized. 

Despite Luke’s natural ability to lead the workspace, he has aspirations to work for himself. He told us that he is passionate about the mindset of health and fitness and knows that he has something to offer that will impact people to become more productive and positive with their fitness journey. Mr. Hosek told us that his greatest strength is his ability to communicate with his peers and be accepting of what comes his way. He enthusiastically engages with new individuals, leveraging his strong communication skills.

Luke Hosek is a natural leader, intelligent, compassionate, thoughtful, and innovative. Luke’s mind will take him to the highest level of success. We know that he has the capability to make a significant mark on our world within any avenue he travels down. Those who have had the pleasure of meeting Luke Hosek during his time at Roger Williams University are truly fortunate. His presence radiates warmth and kindness, making him a cherished friend to many.