The Student News Site of Roger Williams University

The Hawks' Herald

The Hawks' Herald

The Hawks' Herald

A Senior Spotlight: Sailor, Katy Benagh

Rob Migliaccio
Graduating female crew on the Roger Williams University Sailing team, Katy Benagh.

Katy Benagh is a graduating female crew on the Roger Williams University Sailing team. In getting to know Katy Benagh, her past four years go beyond sailing and are an extraordinary example of impactful personal growth, academic achievement, and dedication to environmental studies. Ms. Benagh is graduating with a major in Environmental Science and minors in Sustainability and Marketing. She told us that she completed her degree junior year which led her to obtain a second minor in marketing. She noted that being a part of the sailing team acted as her determination and provided her with grit as she was striving to not only hold her athletics standards high but also her academic standards. The time management skills she learned from being on the team aided in developing her impressive resume. 

Ms. Benagh has always had an interest in sustainability and was eager to learn what she could do to take care of the Earth. Katy Benagh is not only taking care of the Earth but also ensuring that others have the opportunity to enjoy it as her new career with the U.S. Forest Service in Wyoming for the Bridger Teton National Forest Trail Crew acting as their Assistant Program Leader. In this role she will be clearing trails, constructing new trails, and repairing forest damage from natural disasters, all on horseback! She will also play a part in managing youth conservation groups to further spread her knowledge and passion for the environment. 

Ms. Benagh prepared for this impressive role with the help of mentors at Roger Williams University, whom she called her support system. Coaches of the sailing team, Amanda Callahan and Collin Merrick, have consistently supported her in athletic endeavors and personal growth. She also praises the tight-knit community of six Environmental Science graduates and the professors within the program who are always there to lean on and celebrate achievements with. Some of Katy Benagh’s greatest academic achievements were during her study abroad in Montana where she designed her own research as well as the Environmental Chemistry Research with NASA as a part of the NASA Rhode Island Space Grant.

When asked for her greatest piece of advice, Katy Benagh said, “Try everything once and don’t be afraid to try new things” and “cherish every moment you have here.” Katy says that getting over her fear brought her closer to impactful friendships and trying new things made her a better sailor.

Katy Benagh is personable, warm, approachable, hard-working, and very driven, her work is unique and especially impactful in this climate. She is embarking on a grand adventure that will bring change to our planet. The Roger Williams community should be proud that one of us is so dedicated to positively impacting our environmental status. We wish you all the best Katy and may you succeed in every mission you lead.