Men’s lacrosse wins rainy battle against Rivier

Sage Shuster-Wright
An RWU player defends the ball against Rivier opponents.

Rain and cold temperatures did not stop Roger Williams men’s lacrosse from clinching a 19-15 win against Rivier University last Saturday, March 2. 

The game, marked by a plethora of penalties and fast-paced action, saw most of the goals coming from standout performances by senior Matt Hemmert and graduate student Kevin Murphy. 

The Hawks set the tone early in the game, establishing an 8-4 lead as the first quarter concluded. This early momentum was crucial for the Hawks, providing insurance that would be essential as the game progressed. 

In the second and third quarters, Rivier appeared unfettered, capitalizing on a series of broken plays and sustained offensive zone pressure in the face of RWU’s defense. 

Despite Rivier’s offensive push, the Hawks maintained their lead entering the fourth and final quarter. In the fourth, tension on the field seemed to be high, with both teams trading penalties for overly physical play. Despite this, the Hawks would secure the final possession of the game, playing keep away to run down the clock and secure their 19-15 win, giving the team a 3-2 record. 

The men’s next game will be home against Anna Maria College on Thursday, March 7 at 4:00.

A group of Hawks try to get the ball away from Rivier. (Sage Shuster-Wright)