Men’s basketball drops home opener against Connecticut College

Lauren Kuchar
Junior Will MacDonald pulls up for a jump shot at the top of the key.

On Saturday, November 18th, just before Thanksgiving break, men’s basketball hosted The Connecticut College Camels for the Hawk’s first home game of the 2023-2024 season.

The game was hard fought and neck-in-neck until the Camels took the game with a final score of 69-53.

“It certainly wasn’t the result we wanted, they play a style of defensive that we’re not accustomed to,” said Mike Tully, head coach.

Starting off hot, the Camels scored eight consecutive points, forcing the Hawks to call a timeout and make adjustments. The boy’s weren’t able to get points on the board until four minutes into the game. The score at the end of the half was 32-25.

“We struggled as a whole throughout the game to get good shots, we just have to find ways to combat teams like that,” Tully said.

Coming out strong in the second half, the Camels ran with the momentum of the game and scored 15 points in the first minutes. The Hawks clashed to break the now 20 point lead and the game ended with Connecticut outscoring Roger Willams, 37 points to 28 points.

“We’re yet to play as well as we’re capable of for an entire game and that’s been for all three games,” Tully said, “I’m confident that they can and will, and it just becomes a mindset of putting it together.”

After the game, the men’s team had a losing record of 0-3. Since then, they have played five games, they lost their next two games against Wheaton College and Clark University. However, the Hawks have started a winning streak, consecutively beating Western New England University, Suffolk University, and Curry College most recently on Tuesday, December 5.

“I hope we’ll improve in every area, that’s our job, that’s what we try to do everyday,” Tully said.

Cheer on the Hawks to keep their winning streak at their next game, on Saturday, December 9, at home against Fitchburg State University.