Hawks Volleyball Sweeps Rhode Island College

Megan Standifer
Sophomore Jillian Smith fighting for a point at the net.

RWU Women’s volleyball had great success persevering through their game last Thursday, October 12th. The team played Rhode Island College and secured their victory in only three sets. “We just worked really hard to play together and keep our energy up the whole time and just worked on trying to improve every point,” sophomore Emma Bosco said after the game.

Although the game may appear to have been an easy win for the team, each point was hard fought by the Hawks. The girls won the first set by only five points. “What made the game was our energy and our ability to push forward after losing points,” sophomore Jillian Smith said.

The game stayed aggressive in the second set and with each girl’s efforts, the Hawks claimed the set by four points. “We did well getting out of holes super quickly when we got stuck,” said sophomore Sam Johnson.

Finally, after leaving Rhode Island College feeling defeated, the girls took over the third set and Junior Hailey Brasseur finished the game with a serving streak of six and a final score of 25-11. “I thought we did well supporting each other, staying aggressive, and serving aggressively,” Bosco added.

The Hawks entered the game with their last win against the U.S Coast Guard Academy on October 7th. Before the game, the girls had a record of six wins and ten losses on the season and hoped to keep up a winning streak after this game. “I think we’re just trying to ride the wave of all the wins and just keep going, keep pushing, using the wins we’ve already got to keep moving forward,” Johnson said.

Unfortunately the girls were unable to secure a winning streak and were unsuccessful in their next three games against Western New England University, Suffolk University, and Wentworth Institute of Technology. The team’s current record is 7-13. “We’re focusing on what works for us, we know our team and our big thing is keeping it cool and not stressing about stuff,” Smith said.

Cheer on the Hawks in their last four regular season games coming up this week and next week. The next home game is 1:00 on Saturday, October 28th, against the University of New England.