Women’s Soccer works to keep building as a team

Madison Gebo
Midfielder, Sophomore Sarah Newman, challenges a Brandeis University player for the ball. RWU Women’s Soccer team’s current record is 1-4-2.

Stepping into their fourth game of the regular season, RWU’s women’s soccer team hoped to secure their second win, just two days after the team’s first loss of the season. Unfortunately, after a hard fought game, the team was unsuccessful. 

“I feel like we did a good job especially knowing how Brandeis’s reputation is and how we played against them last year,” Freshman Casey Donnelly said after the game.

The Hawks played Brandeis University on the afternoon of Friday, September 8th. Last season, RWU lost to Brandeis with a final score of 3-1. This week, the Hawks improved upon the last performance with a final score of 2-1. Coming into the game, Brandeis had a record of 2-1 and RWU’s record was 1-1-1. With 5 minutes left in the game, Senior midfielder, Raffaella Brunetti, scored the lone goal for the Hawks, assisted by forward, Bianca Robbins. 

“It’s not the result we wanted obviously, but with each game we keep improving,” Senior Jen Donohue said. “I liked the energy, I liked the heart. We just keep getting better, that’s all we can look for.”

This season, the Hawks welcome new players to the team with seven freshmen joining in August. 

“We always love new players, they’re doing great, fitting right in, and getting some minutes [in games],” Donohue said.

With many girls stepping up into bigger roles on the team this year, they are making adjustments to boost the Hawks early in the season.

“[We need] more movement, and more passes to feet. We’re good on our feet and I think we could use that,” Donohue added.

The underclassmen are just as eager to get better as a team. “[We hope to] just continue to keep progressing on the chemistry, keep building as a team, and just get a positive result next time,” Sophomore, Eryn Parlin said. 

The girls have their chance for a different result at their next game on Wednesday, September 13th, in Cambridge against Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 

“We definitely want to work hard, get out there, show them who we are and what we can do for the CCC (Commonwealth Coast Conference),” Donnelly said.