Volleyball moves onto semifinals


Chloe Noyes/ The Hawks' Herald

Volleyball will play Western New England at home in the semifinal round.

To say volleyball is a game of runs is an understatement — and that was on complete display on Tuesday as the Hawks powered through a slow start to beat Suffolk University in the opening round of the Commonwealth Coast Conference Tournament.

After dropping the first eight points of the match to the Rams from kills into the soft spot of the defense and miscommunication on return balls, the Hawks finally got on the scoreboard with a kill by senior right side hitter, Allie Welch off an assist from senior tri-captain Kate Porter.

The kill came a few points after a timeout was called as the Hawks tried to regain some type of momentum.

A simple message was delivered to the team during the timeout, mainly to just relax, play their game and play together — something the Hawks have been doing throughout the season according to Head Coach Danielle Davis.

Despite finally getting on the scoreboard, the Rams continued to apply pressure on the Hawks, eventually stretching their lead to nine points and forcing a second timeout to be called by the Hawks.

With the Hawks trailing 20-13, senior middle hitter Tori Melanson kickstarted a run with back to back tip shots into the open middle of the Rams’ defense that eventually led to the Hawks scoring 12 of the last 14 points of the set to win the set.

From there, the Hawks continued to tear through the line of the Rams, taking the first five points of the second set and claiming the set off of an ace by senior Lauren Burbridge with a decisive score of 25-9.

The third and final set of the night lacked the one sided runs that fans saw in the first two sets. Both teams traded points back and forth involving scores off of aces, service errors, and explosive kills. Long rallies and diving digs were also commonplace during the set as the Hawks continued to target and exploit the middle of the court of the Rams’ defense.

With the Hawks leading 23-18, Suffolk took a timeout to ice senior libero Kate Grabowski as she prepared to serve. She responded with an ace to bring the Hawks to match point.

A kill on the next point by the Rams kept the door open until senior setter Kate Porter finessed a roll shot to the left corner of the court to close out the game and keep the Hawks’ season alive.

The Hawks hit the court next on Nov. 4 in a semifinal matchup at home against No. 6 seed Western New England University at 7 p.m. The Hawks previously beat the Golden Bears in straight sets on their Senior Day on Oct. 23.