Fall season begins Sept. 1

Andrew Hart, Sports Manager

Fall athletes take to the field for their first taste of competition since 2019, as regular season games for men’s and women’s soccer and volleyball begin on Sept. 1.

Here are some things to look for as some teams launch into their 2021 seasons.

Women’s Soccer Coach Tim Moody returns for his eleventh season at the helm for the women’s soccer team with the difficulty of building upon last year’s season that never was.

“Last year we didn’t have a team because we didn’t have a season,” said Moody.

Despite an entire roster missing out on a year of valuable game experience, Moody is pleased with how the team has responded with a proper preseason.

“Our preseason I think has gone really well,” said Moody.

The Hawks scrimmaged Southern New Hampshire University, a Division II opponent and member of the NE10 conference on Aug. 29.

“They were powerful. They put us in our place, which is good, because it tells us all the things we need to work on,” said Moody.

Moody’s team opens up the season at Bayside Field against Framingham State University, followed by another home game on Sept. 3 against Rhode Island College.

Field Hockey looks to begin its ninth season as a varsity sport with a resilient group.

“Not only have the past 18 months been challenging, we continue to face adversity,” said Kelly Blackhurst, the head coach of the Field Hockey team.

The Hawks were originally scheduled to open their fall season with an away game on Sept. 1 against Regis College, but their game was postponed due to Regis not having enough players because of injuries.

The Hawks welcome 10 freshmen to their roster on top of a strong group of upperclassmen, with six seniors that contributed heavily to the program’s first Commonwealth Coast Conference Tournament victory in 2019.

“The whole is greater than the individual. Each person brings value and pushes the standard,” said Blackhurst in an email interview.

Fortunately, the Hawks were able to compete in three games during the previous semester which prepared them for the summer and return to campus a few weeks ago, according to Blackhurst.

“Our three spring games afforded returners the opportunity to compete and respond to pressure situations on the field,” said Blackhurst.

Field Hockey will now open their season on Sept. 4 at Bayside Field against Mount Holyoke College.

Volleyball Coach Danielle Davis returns for her seventh year with a senior heavy team. The Hawks return with eight seniors for the 2021 season. Half of the senior class possess four years of starting experience in Davis’s system. The identifying factor of this team is their willingness to hold each other accountable.

“This year especially, they’re focused on all of the little things,” said Davis.

“They realize that if they don’t do the little things right, then the big goal might not happen,” said Davis.

The Hawks travel to Willimantic, Connecticut to play Eastern Connecticut State University for their first game of the season, followed by their home opener on Sept. 4 against Wheaton.