First live/virtual concert of the semester alludes to what is yet to come for campus entertainment

Courtesy of The College Agency

21-year-old musician Grayson DeWolfe put on a concert for RWU students via Zoom on Aug. 28, which could be viewed from residence hall rooms or a screen on the GHH lawn.

Emma Bartlett, Arts and Culture Editor

Students gathered for a new form of musical entertainment this past weekend with a live/virtual concert put on by musician, Grayson DeWolfe. The 21-year-old multi-instrumentalist Zoomed in from Minnesota with his guitarist Isaac Levy to perform an hour-long concert for students.

Although most returning students are used to the usual in-person concerts that occur in the GHH Atrium and other areas across campus, this event hosted by Student Programs, Leadership and Orientation (SPLO) showed the virtual setting can still be engaging and allow students to have a good time.

SPLO set up a giant movie screen for students to view the concert from the GHH lawn. Approximately 20 students came to watch in person and were able to socially distance with their friends. Those who didn’t want to leave the comforts of their residence halls could tune in to the event through Hawk Link.

Although the scene was much different from past live performances, the chat room in Zoom allowed the audience to interact with the musicians by requesting songs throughout the show.

“It was cool that we could request songs. It allowed you to participate more,” said freshman Kailey DeFina.

Being able to communicate with the performers in real time helped make the event feel more interactive. It also made sure that classic requests like “Wonderwall” and “All Star” blasted through the speakers for everyone at RWU to hear.

“I thought it was really cool that they were able to come. Really entertaining and fun,” said freshman Hannah Morrissette.

For those who missed the concert, DeWolfe will be back Oct. 10 for another performance. His style is a mix of Panic! At the Disco and Bruno Mars, so be sure to tune in for talented vocals and another entertaining night.