Presidential Debate

Student+body+president+candidates+Joseph+Pistulli+%28left%29+and+Zoey+Cormican+%28right%29.+
Student body president candidates Joseph Pistulli (left) and Zoey Cormican (right).

As the 2024 Roger Williams University student body presidential elections rapidly approach, there are two candidates who have declared their intent and want your vote. Students can vote for Student Body President on April 3rd and April 4th via email.

Joseph Pistulli

Junior Joseph Pistulli is a Finance and Management double major with a minor in Political Science. 

On campus, Pistulli is the Vice President of Delta Sigma Pi, a professional business fraternity and is the Secretary of Student Senate. 

Pistulli believes his involvement at RWU has helped him to develop the leadership skills necessary to being Student Body President. 

“Being on Student Senate has shown not only what goes on within the organization but also within the University,” said Pistulli. 

Additionally, in his three years on Student Senate, Pistilli worked as a general senator, later moving onto working within the cabinet as Clubs and Organizations Chair to assist students, when later “pulling it all together” as Secretary, “learning what it means to be a leader within Senate.” 

Pistulli’s three most important campaign issues include building connections with all of the Deans and Student Life, promoting the accessibility of Student Senate to students, and ensuring his campaign follows honesty and transparency. 

Pistulli believes creating closer relationships with Deans within the Student Senate outside of the Academic Affairs Chair will be beneficial because he believes the Student Senate has been mostly interested in the Student Life aspect of RWU. 

Also, as student body president, Pistulli would promote the Student Senate to students. 

“[Student Senate’s] job is to hear out any and all issues that students have on campus. Many of us hold office hours that practically go unused, which is more of an internal issue, but I would want every student to know that our office is an open space for all students,” Pistulli said.

Finally, Pistulli said his campaign will, “follow nothing but honesty and transparency,” allowing for students to know they are receiving the truth from his campaign on issues on campus. 

In his three year tenure on Student Senate, Pistulli said he never would have considered running for Student Body President but people in his life such as his father and friends encourage him to run and, “push…beyond the glass ceiling [he has] over [his] head.”

“My Dad always said that if they can do it, so can you with enough hard work, and that really sticks with me. My friends serve as the fuel and my Dad serves as the engine,” said Pistulli. 

Pistulli ensured that he will represent the student body and allow all student voices to be heard: “I want all students to know that I can and will have a conversation with them. I can yield my email to anyone who wants it and I will answer questions to the best of my abilities.” 

To learn more about Pistulli and his campaign, he can be reached via email: [email protected].

Zoey Cormican

Junior Zoey Cormican is a Legal Studies and Political Science double major with minors in Psychology and Gender and Sexuality Studies. 

On campus, Cormican is the Treasurer of Mock Trial, a member of Drastic Measures Acapella, a Women’s Lacrosse and Rugby player, a Resident Assistant in Stonewall, a part of the Swoop Spirit Squad in Student Programs, Leadership and Orientation (SPLO), and a member of the RWU Honors Program.  

“I believe my involvement within extracurricular activities has helped me be more able and excited to establish strong lines of communication between each group I am a part of,” said Cormican. 

Additionally, Cormican said she believes being highly involved with various clubs, organizations, and teams within the RWU community has given her the opportunity to be, “more well-rounded in [her] advocacy for the student body.” 

Cormican’s three most important campaign issues are continuing to make Student Accessibility Services (SAS) more equitable and accessible, ensure that all Student Senate chartered activities are able to have contact with a Student Senate Representative, and continue to ensure there is menstrual hygiene products in all public restrooms on campus, as well as anything else the student body brings forth.  

In regards to her work with SAS, Cormican said she wants to continue to work with faculty and staff to make an inclusive dorm for students who may have ESAs. 

“This campus can always become more inclusive and accessible for all students,” said Cormican. 

Cormican also wants to ensure that Student Senate sponsored clubs and organizations have the opportunity to meet with a senate representative, allowing for clubs and orgs to more easily ask questions regarding funding requests, club monthly reports, or anything else regarding Student Senate. 

The most important issue to Cormican is that the student body brings forth to her because, “this is your campus, and I just want to serve the students in any way they see fit. I will fight for you and your needs in any way I can.” 

“I am re-running to continue serving as Student Body President because I absolutely love and adore Roger Williams University…I am confident that if elected again, I can continue being a resource for everyone on campus, as well as someone that will always advocate for the Student Body,” said Cormican. 

Cormican said she will represent the student body by “breaking the stigma” of Student Senate to make it a more inviting, accessible, and inclusive environment so students feel more comfortable bringing issues before senators. 

Cormican also wanted to highlight her previous achievements as the Student Body President during the 2023-24 academic year which have included maintaining a line of contact with SAS Director, Jody Goldstein and the DEIA Council, as well as various Student Life Initiatives and Constitutional additions. 

To learn more about Cormican and her campaign, she can be reached via email at [email protected], on social media @zoeycorm on Instagram and Snapchat, as well as through Roger Link.

Students can vote for Student Body President on April 3-4 via email.