Mt. Hope Bridge construction & Baypoint closure plans

Elizabeth Van Liew
The Mt. Hope Bridge

At Student Senate on Mon., March 4, Vice President of Student Life, John King spoke to issues concerning the new Campus Center, the Mount Hope Bridge construction, and updates on Baypoint. 

King said the Mount Hope bridge will begin on March 11, leaving one lane of traffic between 9am and 3pm Monday through Thursday, and between 9am and 1pm on Fridays. 

For Roger Williams University students living in Baypoint, King said there will be additional shuttles as well as larger buses to accommodate more students. 

According to King, there will also be an app in which students can track the shuttles called Passio Go. 

Additionally, there will be grab and go meals available for students to take on their way to the main campus, said King. 

Baypoint was also a topic King updated Student Senators and Organization Leaders on during Monday’s meeting. 

King assured the audience that rising juniors and seniors will be able to find housing for next year, and that students will be split between the Bristol campus and Almeida housing. 

“We have enough room. We wouldn’t have made this move if we didn’t,” said King. 

King mentioned there was a new housing process being introduced to accommodate the influx of students living on the main Bristol campus called Supersizing. 

Supersizing is a process in which students can decide to live three people to a room in favor of cheaper room and board. 

Additionally, Baypoint will no longer be used for summer conferences, King said. 

Baypoint’s closure will also cut costs for the university in terms of dining, said King.

According to King, RWU has spend $1.5 million paying temporary dining staff ($50/hr). With Baypoint’s closure, King said the university will integrate Baypoint’s dining staff to the main Commons staff and eliminate temporary positions.