Updated protocols for COVID-19

On August 25, 2023, Vice President for Student Life, Dr. John King and Chief of Staff Brian Williams sent an email to the student body regarding the updated 2023 COVID-19 protocols and procedures. 

For the 2023-24 academic year, students and faculty will no longer be required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Instead, the protocol states that, “vaccination is strongly recommended.” 

Additionally, Roger Williams University has returned to a masking optional policy for students and faculty. Masking is optional for all students and staff since the federal and state emergency orders are no longer in place. However, King states that masks are still required in Health Services if someone presents with Covid symptoms. 

Similar to the 2022-23 academic year, students will be expected to fill out the COVID-19 self reporting form in the case they test positive for COVID. After filling out the form, they will then receive instructions on how to isolate, said King. In the case a residential student does test positive, the protocol states, “If a student has the means and ability to do so, they should leave campus and isolate at their permanent place of residence until their isolation period is complete. For students isolating in University housing, they must stay in their room as much as possible; wear a mask when a roommate is present in the room (except when you are sleeping) and keep the window open for fresh air exchange.”

These relaxed protocols came at a time where COVID-19 hospitalizations have significantly decreased since 2022 according to the Rhode Island Department of Health.