Editorial: Recreation Center and Library Hours

Rebecca Proulx

Media Coordinator

The RWU Recreation Center and Library are heavily utilized campus resources and are treated as thus through their extensive hours on weekdays. However, on the weekends students are unable to use either with anywhere close to the same amount of freedom.

Monday through Thursday, the Library is open from 7:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. On Fridays it is open from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sundays 10 a.m. to 2 a.m.

The Recreation Center hours also are cut back greatly on the weekends; Monday through Thursday, the Recreation Center is open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. On Fridays it is open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Morning hours particularly for Saturday and Sunday are quite diminished compared to their regular ones during the week.

This being said, if you are someone who feels most productive in the Library and has a lot of work to do over the weekend, you cannot really start your day until the majority of the morning is gone. This is especially an issue if you still rely on Commons for meals, given they also do not open until 10 a.m. on the weekends, so that cuts into your time as well. If you are accustomed to an early morning workout routine during the week, as early as 6 a.m., it is a large change of pace and inconvenience.

A major reason why the hours are cut back for both the Library and Recreation Center on the weekends is so that work study hours for students helping to operate these facilities do not run out of hours too quickly. One solution to this would be offering these weekend spots to students who are on payroll. There are very limited positions for people that do not qualify for work study jobs on campus, and hiring people for payroll could solve many issues at once.