Where to shop around Bristol for holiday gifts

April Federico, Features Editor

It’s November, and everyone knows what that means: Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and getting into the holiday spirit! When you’re a freshman, it’s obvious — almost mandatory — that you’re going to want to buy your friends and family gifts from the bookstore. But, if everyone on your gift list already has their quota of RWU t-shirts, sweatshirts, coffee mugs, and assorted outerwear, you might want to check out the many holiday shopping options in downtown Bristol.

You don’t even need a car to visit these great shops — each one is just a short walk from the shuttle stop at High Street and State Street.

On Friday and Saturday, Nov. 17 and 18, Bristol’s 16th Annual Holiday Preview kicks off with two special nights of shopping and specials from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Just follow the luminaries around town and explore our local shopping destinations, including these great shops:

The Foolish Fox

317 Hope St.

Their inventory includes antiques, vintage items, and artwork. They sell quirky signs and high-quality jewelry, too. They carry huge assortments of box signs with kind and funny messages. Additionally, they carry the Capri Blue Candle line. There’s even a bargain basement to explore!

Green River Silver Co.

297 Hope St.

Located on Hope Street, Green River Silver Co. has a wide variety of beautiful jewelry pieces that you can get for your girlfriend or your mom. The store imports its pieces from all over the world in every price range.

Harbor Bath and Body

251 Thames St.

Beautiful handmade soaps, locally-made bath and body products, casual clothing, and other gifts and souvenirs with a nautical theme are all available at this charming shop near Bristol’s harbor.

Hereshoff Museum Store

1 Burnside Street (at the corner of Hope Street and Burnside)

Sailing is a pretty big deal in Bristol, and at the Hereshoff Museum, not only can you learn more about Bristol’s #1 pastime and sport, but you can find gifts for the sailors on your shopping list. Check out the Hereshoff Museum Store and their website for more.

Jackie’s Loft

448 Thames St.

Located right on Thames Street, near Redlefsen’s, Jackie’s has great clothing for a competitive price. The quality of the clothes is impeccable, especially for the prices. It is a great local store focused on individual attention. Whomever you’re shopping for is bound to get compliments from the items you buy for them!

Kate and Company:

301 Hope St.

Located on lower Hope Street (and a little closer to campus), and next to Angelina’s, Kate and Company sells food and chocolates, home décor, jewelry, bath and body supplies, and good-quality clothing. You can even buy stuff for babies if you have a little one you cherish in your life. You’re definitely bound to find something in there!

Roxie’s Consignment Boutique

217 High Street

This funky thrift store is where all the bargains are at. Located on the corner of High Street and Church, they have half-off sales during the holiday season — perfect if you’re looking for great clothes with low prices.

The Sand Dollar

54 State St, Bristol, RI 02809

The Sand Dollar is a nautical-themed gift store located right on State Street. It primarily sells accessories, so it’s a fun store with a gift for everyone. They sell things like puravida bracelets, gift baskets, fun novelty items, and vibrant necklaces with fun, nautical designs.

The Sea Star

39 State St.

The Sea Star Shop is a jewel of a shop that is wonderfully jam-packed with gifts, jewelry, confections, and assorted treasures from local artists and artisans — all inspired by the Sea. If you love dolphins, mermaids, shells, and sea glass, make time to drop by (If you’re really lucky, you’ll have a chance to meet local celebrity, Mr. Oyster, during your visit).

WOOF! WOOF! Pet Boutique & Biscuit Bar

31 Bradford St. (between Thames and Hope)

You may not have noticed, but Bristol is a very dog-friendly town. So, it only makes sense that we have a shop specializing in more doggy treats than you can imagine, as well as toys, accessories, and pet-themed gifts for dog lovers.

We hope this helps put some fun into your holiday shopping. You’re sure to find wonderful gifts while supporting Bristol’s local merchants and talented artisans.