Navigating Newport on a budget

Living at RWU puts students in the middle of two wonderful places, Providence and Newport.

Newport is only a bus ride away and provides wonderful views and sites. It is also a great place for students to explore without hurting their wallets.

For those with cars, Ocean Drive is a great scenic route for those who want to experience the views while giving their legs a rest. Go with friends, turn on some music and take in the scenery until you end up at Castle Hill Lighthouse. 

If you’re in the mood to exercise, the Cliff Walk is a three and a half mile walk that provides views of the ocean and the famous mansions. This is great for students who want to experience parts of the mansions without paying the $32 cost for a ticket.

On the other hand, Fort Adams State Park provides a panoramic view of the Newport Harbor and the East Passage of Narragansett Bay. It also is great for picnics and fishing. For a nice hike, Ballard Park offers an immersive and pleasant nature experience.

On the second Thursday of each month, Newport offers a free gallery night where more than 25 galleries around town open their doors for patrons to come enjoy the art.

For students more interested in history, the Museum of Newport History puts on many items for display and suggests a donation of around $5. Newport is also home to the Museum of American Illustration, which is open Fridays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and has a student price of $14. The museum is home to plenty of art pieces from a variety of American artists.

For students interested in the commercial aspect of Newport, Thames Street is lined with plenty of unique shops and dining options.

No matter what students are looking for, Newport has something that caters to every taste.