Survivor 50: Could It Be The End?

Jeff Probst on’Survivor 46’. Courtesy of Robert Voets/CBS

Well people, Jeff Probst has made his semi-annual take to Instagram to announce news on Survivor: 50. Although it is still a couple years away, Probst, the host and executive producer, told excited fans that the future season of the CBS reality competition show will feature all returning castaways. This was not only cause for major celebration, but also serious speculation. 

Many fans pondered what the format of the season would look like. Another Heroes vs Villains, something fans have been asking for since the original since season 20? Second Chance, featuring fan favorite castaways who got the boot early? New School vs Old School, with conflicting styles of gameplay and age? Would there be a season with only “New Era”, season 41-49, players (I sure hope not)? 

At the end of his announcement, Jeff panned to cheering fans, saying “…And you get to be a part of it!” leaving many to wonder if it would be an audience-picked, fan favorites season. But still, who would be on the ballot? Old school? New school? Just new era players? Villains? Heroes? It’s really all up to speculation right now.

Other speculation came most notably from Survivor fan favorite and alum, Kelley Wentworth. She is notorious for her intense idol gameplay and challenge performances. She took to Tik Tok, where she posts much Survivor-related content (some of which very honestly bashes aspects of the show she does not like) to share her thoughts on the news. In addition to sharing similar ideas to other fans, Wentworth pondered the future of the show. She stated that maybe Survivor wanted to “go out with a bang” and end on an iconic and impressive number 50. Fans took to the comment section, pleading for Wentworth not to jinx or manifest such a situation. But 50 seasons spanning over upwards of 25 years is an incredible television feat. And Jeff Probst is not getting any younger (and no, I will not even humor the idea of Jeff being replaced… when he goes, Survivor goes). Could number 50 be the end for Survivor? 

Unrelated to Survivor, I just want to thank The Hawks Herald and all of the readers for giving me a place to babble about whatever I want in each issue. I feel so lucky that I get to have my thoughts published, and perhaps even entertain or inspire a few people. I’ll be back next semester for more opinions probably nobody asked for, but ones I want to share. Thank you.