The Student News Site of Roger Williams University

The Hawks' Herald

The Hawks' Herald

The Hawks' Herald

Men’s Lacrosse Secures 8th Straight Win vs. Wentworth

Players+on+the+field+during+the+game.+
Stathi Savvidis
Players on the field during the game.

The Roger Williams men’s lacrosse team squared off against Wentworth on Wednesday, defeating them 9-7 at home, in a game that was impacted by windy and rainy elements.

The Hawks were led by Matt Hemmert with 3 goals and an assist and Matt Halpin with 2 goals and an assist.

The game started off looking like it was going to be a high-scoring game with Hawks getting a quick goal by Ryan Vendetti with 10:24 left in the first. Wentworth would quickly counter, scoring a goal with 8:36 left in the first. The Hawks followed with two goals by Matt Hemmert and Brady Lee. In a matter of 1 minute and 39 seconds, Wentworth would score 3 goals, before Matt Halpin scored with 28 seconds remaining to end the first at a 4-4 tie.

The Hawks would start the second period with a goal by Riley Spellman to lead 5-4. Soon after, Wentworth would tie the game up with 9:07 remaining in the second. Both sides would fight hard throughout the rest of the second period on both sides. Wentworth ended up scoring a goal with 1:54 left in the game to make it 5-6.

Both sides were struggling to score in the third period, as goalkeepers on both sides were denying opportunities for both offenses. Wentworth would score the only goal of the period with 1:56 left to lead 5-7.

Defense on both sides continued to dominate into the fourth period, but the Hawks weren’t ready to let this game go. Matt Halpin and Matt Hemmert scored with 5:09 and 4:32 left in the fourth to tie the game at 7. With the momentum on their side, Jack Kester scored a goal to put the Hawks ahead 8-7. Matt Hemmert scored the dagger goal with 2:02 left in the period to lead the Hawks to a 9-7 win.

Roger Williams now sits at 11-2, second in the CCC, after another win at home against Gordon College for Senior Day.