Sox versus Yanks: Let’s Talk About It

Elizabeth Van Liew

With football season behind us, and college basketball winding down, it is finally my time to shine: It’s baseball season! Opening Day in the U.S. is March 28th, and of all the major televised sports, I’m definitely the most well-versed in baseball. Born into a Yankee-crazed family, I will always root for the New York pinstripes.

I know this is a very controversial opinion, especially in this area of the Northeast. The Red Sox are supposedly “New England’s team” when it comes to America’s oldest game, located in New England’s most iconic city: Boston. But the team atmosphere, prestige, and the fact that my entire family is from New York (despite our current CT residence) makes it an easy choice to bleed white and navy blue for the Yankees every season. I’m a proud Yankee fan through and through, and will not be swayed by living in New England to root for an inferior team. There, I said it. 

The Sox have clocked four World Series titles in the current millennium, the only team to hold the honor so far. In recent years, they have been more dominant than my beloved Yankees, who have only won twice in the same time period. But need I remind Red Sox nation about the ‘Curse of the Bambino’ in which they went 86 years (1918-2004) without claiming a title? The Yankees longest title drought was from 1978-1996, a mere 18 years. They have also won 27 titles total, the most in MLB history, compared to the Red Sox, tied for third all time. with nine.

Now, there are many more factors to go over when determining the “objectively better” baseball team. But to talk about the MLB power rankings, the Red Sox are looking a bit bleak this season, being ranked in the bottom 25 teams in the MLB this year (due to poor trades, slashed paychecks, and fewer home games). The Yankees, on the other hand, are ranked the 6th best team in the MLB on the same list. The main issue for the New York team in recent times has been injuries, especially in star players like Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton. However, strong trades and healthy up-and-comers will help the durability of the team.

No matter who you choose to root for this season, it is important to remember that location is just one factor in choosing who to cheer for. Lineage, tradition, player favoritism, or even being a band-wagon can sway who you cheer for (so feel free to cheer for the Cubs if you so please). It is also important to remember that, no matter how well the Sox do this year, there is no way they’re touching the Yankees for the best team of all-time.