Hawks’ Men’s Hockey finishes season with a win and loss in Quahog Cup Tournament

The Roger Williams Men’s Hockey team and Connecticut College Camels kicked off the Quahog Cup tournament last Saturday, February 3.

The first period of play saw no goals, but that’s not to say there wasn’t an abundance of action. Both teams yielded numerous scoring chances, especially for Connecticut College. There were multiple power plays in the first period, including one unique delay of game penalty in which Junior defenseman, Henry Burnham, played the puck with a broken stick, leading to a two-minute advantage for the Camels. Fortunately for the Hawks, Connecticut College could not convert, and the score remained 0-0 going into the second period. 

Late in the second period, Roger Williams opened the scoring with a goal from Junior forward Matt Marois, who scored after consistent zone pressure from the Hawks. The rest of the second period yielded more penalties from each team, but the score remained tied into the third and final period of play. 

Early in the third, the Connecticut College Camels would respond with a goal from Junior forward Ross Lennan, tying the score 1-1 with 16 minutes to go. The Camels would sustain pressure throughout the rest of the third period, leading to a goal from Drew Nafis which gave the Camels a 2-1 lead with just over seven minutes remaining. Late in the third period, the Camels would pot another goal, this time capitalizing on a Hawks miscommunication, which would give Connecticut College a 3-1 lead. 

The score would remain 3-1, with the Connecticut College Camels securing an opening-day win. Fortunately, Roger Williams’ weekend was not over as the team would go on to win 4-2 in a consolation game against Bryant University on Sunday, February 4.