The Student News Site of Roger Williams University

The Hawks' Herald

The Hawks' Herald

The Hawks' Herald

RWU Practices Midterm Mental Wellness

Brianna Benjamin
Bristol Police’s therapy and comfort dog, Brody.

On Oct. 12, the Public Health Club held a university-wide event to encourage mental wellness during midterms and to promote suicide awareness. The event included a therapy dog, a guided meditation, suicide prevention ribbons, wellness goodie bags, stress ball making, coloring activities, and more. The Psychology Club also took part in the event, providing snacks and drinks.

One of the organizers of the event was Brianna Benjamin, President of the Public Health Club. She described the purpose of the “Midterm Mental Wellness” event as a way to encourage students to “take a step back, be present, be mindful and to promote mental wellness in order to stop the stigma around talking about mental illness.” Benjamin discussed the importance of having suicide prevention resources available on campus, explaining that college is a transition period in people’s lives where they can struggle with stresses such as being away from home and finding it difficult to make friends or find a community. She stated that “giving out resources to help people recognize that someone is struggling and showing that person they’re not alone” is important, as well as remembering that mental health should be able to be talked about freely.

One of the main attractions of the event was the Bristol Police’s therapy and comfort dog Brody, whose job is to support the officers as well as the community. He goes to elementary, middle and high schools, as well as universities, libraries, and other community areas to participate in a wide range of events. Benjamin stated that therapy dogs can be helpful because “people feel more connected to them as it can feel easier and safer in the moment than talking to people.” Other students at the event stated that Brody simply reminded them of their dogs from home who they miss, putting them in a better mood.

Also in attendance at the event was Melissa Cotta of Bridging the Gap, an advocacy group dedicated to suicide prevention, supporting all affected by suicide, and advocating for safety barriers on Rhode Island’s bridges. Cotta started the organization in 2016 when she witnessed someone’s death from jumping off the Mt. Hope bridge. At the time she hadn’t known the prevalence of the situation, but soon learned that there are four suicide bridges in the Newport county. Bridging the Gap’s mission is to get the installation of barriers up on the bridges, as well as to “educate about mental health and to dispell suicide myths and offer support to all the survivors and loss through remembrance vigils and online support groups.”

Cotta explained that there is a lot of misinformation regarding mental health, so it is important to educate people about what is true and what is not, as well as how one can identify the signs of people at risk, including themselves. “You can help save a life,” Cotta stated. Cotta also explained how students can get involved, saying, “students from Rhode Island can contact their congressional delegation. There are legislative hearings every legislative session and you can give verbal or written testimonials.” In addition to this, there is also a petition with over 8,000 signatures in support of putting up bridge barriers.

Sophomore student Abigail King, a new member of the Psychology Club, also provided insight on the event. She explained that there were several members of the Psychology Club volunteering at the event and that several members of the club are also members of the Public Health Club. King elaborated that there are lots of members who have specific elements related to mental health that they’re interested in and “are trying to get more representation for on campus. A big part of psychology is mental health and helping people, so in the Psych Club we discuss that.” King stated that she hopes to see more events on campus surrounding the topic of mental health. “I think it is really beneficial, especially around midterm and finals time when there are stressful things going on because it’s nice to have a chance to step away and do something fun with friends, meet new people, especially in an environment that is a safe space for mental health.”