For Nostalgia’s Sake, Make Music Good Again!

Elizabeth Van Liew

I. Love. Music. I host my own radio show on WQRI Sundays from 2pm- 4pm called ‘For Nostalgia’s Sake’, where I steal Casey Kasem’s vibe and play songs that charted in the given week throughout the years. Now on my third season, I haven’t strayed away from my original format, playing nostalgic tunes all show long. I could go on and on about why certain songs make me feel a certain way. Obviously, certain memories and emotions come to the forefront when we hear songs that remind us of different times. But I also think older music is just better than what is made today!

Over the years I’ve grown fond of 80s and 90s artists, most notably, Michael Jackson, Ace of Base, and NSYNC. My father, a DJ for weddings and other events as a side gig, is a music enthusiast. Music was always playing in my house growing up. He’d play 70s, 80s, and 90s (plus smooth jazz on Sunday mornings). His favorites, like The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen, are a little different from my mom and sister’s choices, NSYNC and The Backstreet Boys. As for my brother and I, even in 2010, the 2008- 2015 era was my favorite (though my brother now prefers rap)! But no matter what was playing in my house or the car, I was happy to have something playing, soundtracking the day.

My favorite era of music is 2008- 2015, where artists like Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, and Avicii topped the charts. I love the upbeat lyrics and rhythm that took over the scene in this era. Songs like Fire Burning by Sean Kingston and Wake Me Up by Avicii just don’t get made anymore. I feel that these songs, and other chart-toppers like them, are so much more dynamic than ones we get today. I’m sorry, I just don’t think Vampire by Olivia Rodrigo or Paint The Town Red by Doja Cat, or other modern artists (I’m not even going to share my opinion on Taylor Swift. I don’t dislike her, I’m just genuinely afraid of the Swifties) are as good as older songs.

Do I think these songs are terrible? No, of course not. They’re currently sitting atop the charts. Even though they are not my cup of tea, I can see that they are objectively good songs. I’m just saying they don’t hold a candle to 2012 hits by Rihanna and One Direction.

Just like my dad prefers the sounds of his childhood, I think I’ll always have a special place in my heart for my chosen era of music. The good news is, no matter what era of music you like, ‘For Nostalgia’s Sake’ on WQRI88.3FM from 2pm-4pm plays it all! 🙂