The Student News Site of Roger Williams University

The Hawks' Herald

The Hawks' Herald

The Hawks' Herald

Morning classes vs. night classes

Hailey Bingman

Morning classes versus night classes. A hot take if you ask me. Some people will defend their afternoon and evening classes until the day they die. However, in my opinion, I find morning classes far better than afternoon classes. 

For the purposes of this argument, I will classify morning classes as classes beginning between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m., and afternoon and evening classes between 1 p.m. and 6 p.m.. 

Personally, I am a morning person, and like to know that I have places to be in the morning. Having stacked morning classes also helps me to feel more productive because I have the rest of my day to do work for those morning classes and have my evenings for clubs and extracurriculars. 

Additionally, having a morning schedule allows for more people to participate in extracurricular activities because often, clubs meet in the evenings, and without evening classes, more people are able to attend. 

Also, I find that when I have classes later in the day, I am less likely to pay attention, especially if it is a 2 p.m. to 3:20 p.m. class because in my experience in having classes at that time, I have already had multiple classes in the morning and my mind wanders to Pinterest, doodling, or wasting class time, and I leave the class wondering what I just learned. 

However I do understand the appeal of having afternoon classes because you have your morning to sleep in, and slowly begin the day. However, is having a class that ends at 9pm worth getting up later? Personally, I would rather have a class that begins at 9 a.m. and have the rest of the afternoon. 

Additionally, morning classes have an advantage because especially if the class is at 8am, you have the first class version of the professor who, if they have multiple sections of the same class, could become bored with the material they are talking about all day, and you are able to receive the first, fresh, energized version of the professor for the morning. 

As people are passionately defending their afternoon classes, I want to spread my opinion that there are benefits to morning classes even though they may seem like a hassle to wake up for, you have your entire afternoon and evening to take part in getting involved on campus and not need to pull all nighters to finish when you are getting out of class in the middle of the night.