College Democrats host lecture series

Between March 30 and April 13, 2023, the College Democrats at RWU hosted a lecture series entitled, “Rewriting the Narrative: A Coordinated Effort to Change the Conversation.” The goal of the series is to give the community an interdisciplinary view on politics and re-contextualizing what students have been taught. 

April 13th marked the final lecture series in which sophomore political science and educational studies major, Emma Hansen and RWU professors, Dr. Alan Canestrari, Professor of Social Studies Education, and Dr. Ann G. Winfield, Professor of Educational Foundations and Studies for “Democracy in Decline: An Alternative Viewpoint on the Role of Civic Education” spoke of the decline of civic education in America. 

The lecture focused on ways civic education was flawed in American education and ways to improve it so there could be a better understanding of civics within schools. 

Participants were also split into groups with a question to discuss regarding democracy, civic education, and what people thought was the best way to improve civic education. 

After the small groups discussed, one member from each group met with other participants who had different questions in order to learn everyone’s perspectives. 

Once each of the second round of small group discussions were finished, the group reconvened as one group to discuss their findings in the battle for democracy and civic education. 

If you are interested in joining the College Democrats, they meet every Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m. in GHH301.