Casting away your troubles with the fishing club

What started out as just a boys club in the fall of 2019 has grown into a student senate chartered club with their own fishing tournament, which they refer to as the “Fishing Derby,” which ran from Sept. 30 to Nov. 4 this year.

At first, the Fishing Club was pretty small and was exclusively just a group of friends that got together to enjoy fishing. Now, with this being their third year as an official club, they have grown upwards of 40 students that are consistently showing up to their weekly meetings. Their group has also become more diverse in gender, and not being simply a “boys club.” The Fishing Club meetings consist of hosting seminars and teaching about fishing on campus, tackle, rods, reels, and the boats that they use to take out. Their club also sells sweatshirts and other merchandise. They host their fishing derbies every once in a while and which the Saltwater Edge, a fishing store in Middletown, helps out with. The Dean of Natural Sciences allows the club to take out small boats while also financing all the trips, making them free for members to partake in. Their trips out have been very successful these past few years considering they have come back with fish each time after traveling far off RWU’s shore. It does not end there, however. Aquavia also hosts fish fries at his apartment off campus for club bonding. 

“Not only are there fish but we also see seals when we go out as well” Aquavia relays from his experiences. There’s something here for everyone. 

If you are looking for an adventurous and inclusive group go join the Fishing Club every Monday and Thursday in the Marine & Natural Sciences building in room 200 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Sign up only in person for their boat trips that take place almost every Saturday from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m.