Women’s Soccer and Field Hockey

Mia Pantano, Herald Reporter

RWU Women’s Soccer and Field Hockey teams faced the Western New England (WNE) Golden Bears and Salve Regina University (Salve) Seahawks, respectively, in the first round of CCC conference play. Field Hockey came up with a win against Salve Regina, advancing to the semifinal round. Women’s soccer, however, fell to WNE after a heartfelt battle that lasted into a shootout. 

The fourth-seeded Hawks Field Hockey downed the fifth-seeded Salve Regina University Seahawks this week with an impressive three goals, all scored in the first quarter. The Hawks’ dominance set the tone for the entirety of the game, leaving the Seahawks scoreless. The Hawks downed the Seahawks, 3-0, in their regular season game the week before, so the Hawks were not particularly intimidated by their competition. 

The Hawks came out strong and dominated the first quarter, leaving Salve scrambling for possession. After receiving CCC Rookie of the Week honors, first year forward Chelsea King scored the first goal of the game in the 6th minute, assisted by sophomore midfielder Sara Carney. Within four minutes from the first goal, sophomore defender Abigail Stevens scored the Hawks’ second goal, assisted by King. Three minutes after the second goal, freshman forward Hannah Timbrouck scored their third and final goal, assisted by junior forward/midfielder Kelly Doherty. The Hawks maintained their momentum for the remainder of the competition, keeping Salve at bay. 

With their season still alive and a high of excitement from their four-game winning streak, the Hawks will face the number one seed in the conference, University of New England, in the CCC tournament semifinal game. The match will take place at the University of New England in Biddeford, Maine on Thursday, November 3 at 6:30pm.

RWU Women’s Soccer battled the WNE Golden Bears in their CCC quarterfinal game this week. After an even competition with seemingly no end in sight, the final kick of the game-ending shootout would put the Golden Bears on top. 

The Hawks scored their first goal in the 40th minute in response to WNE’s goal eight minutes earlier. Freshman midfielder Sofie Morris found the back of the net, leaving the score tied at one. In the second half, senior forward Bianca Robbins scored the Hawks second and final goal, leveling the score 2-2. Still tied at two, the game entered its first overtime with no result. After a second overtime, still with no result, the game progressed into a shootout. The Hawks held a 4-3 lead in penalty kicks until the Hawks missed their final attempt, allowing the Golden Bears to advance.

RWU Women’s Soccer finishes their season with a 9-9-4 overall record and a 4-3-2 record in the conference.