University updates from President’s Newsletter

RWU President Ioannis Miaoulis sent out his monthly newsletter for December. Here are some of the developments he wrote about.

Many people said that there “need[s] to be more connected to university news and have it easily served up to [them].” The university introduced two new methods of communicating news: the Fall 2022 RWU Magazine and Roger Roundup. Each Fall there will be a new RWU magazine that will be available in all offices and departments at the Bristol and Providence campuses. Roger Roundup is a “revamped university email newsletter … highlighting RWU news, social media, activities and upcoming events.” Story ideas can be sent to [email protected]
The University College will open the RWU Educational Testing Center in January. It is supposed to provide a “facility that fulfills various testing needs as a step along their educational and career pathways.” Tests offered by the center include tests from PearsonVue, The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Defense Subject Standardized Test (DSST) and will act as a state testing center for the National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI).
Commencement will be held on Friday, May 19, 2023
RWU raised $4,800 in food, gifts and gift cards donated in this year’s Turkey Basket Drive & Contest. Over 40 turkey baskets were delivered to the East Bay Food Pantry. The Financial Aid Office won the quantity award and the School of Law won the creativity award in the contest.
RWU’s version of Toys for Tots — Hawks for the Holidays ‘22 is underway. The gift trees at Upper and Lower Commons and the GHH lobby have what was wished for as gifts for 12 Bristol families of the Colt-Andrews Elementary School and seniors of the Benjamin Church Senior Center in Bristol. Dec. 12 is the deadline to bring unwrapped gifts to the Community Engagement Center located at the farmhouse across from Commons.
The Office of Human Resources Department is holding Sock-Cember, a sock drive to support families in need, from Dec. 1 to Dec. 21. Donations need to be in their original packaging and will be donated to Crossroads Rhode Island. Donations can be dropped off at the Office of Human Resources, School of Law, University College and the Administration Building.
Student Programs, Leadership & Orientation, student organizations and the Office of the President are hosting the Winter Illuminations celebration on Wednesday, Dec. 7 at 4.p.m. on the D’Angelo Common. There will be live music from RWU’s performing groups and the lighting of the non-denominational holiday tree.
The Bristol Christmas Festival will be held Saturday, Dec. 10 and Sunday, Dec. 11 where Downtown Bristol will be decorated in holiday lights, and live performances, a holiday-story reading and the evergreen’s grand illumination will take place.

In regard to finals approaching and end of semester workloads, Miaoulis said, “I encourage you to pause where you can, to enjoy the growth and successes of our students and colleagues, and to join in the many events and opportunities to come together and celebrate our students’ work.”