6 Rom Coms for Your Valentine’s Day Watchlist

Courtesy of Warner Bros.

“Crazy Rich Asians” was released in 2018 and can now be streamed on HBO Max.

Nicole Kowalewski, Arts & Culture Editor

Whether you are currently head-over-heels or ready for something new, rom coms are the perfect Valentine’s Day watch. Funny, familiar and comforting, grab that pint of ice cream and kick back for an evening of meet-cutes, wacky shenanigans and happily-ever-afters.

“Crazy Rich Asians”

When Rachel Chu’s longtime boyfriend Nick Young asks her to meet his family, she is thrilled to take the trip…until she learns the Youngs are one of the wealthiest families in Singapore. Amid family drama, gossip and the pressure of Nick’s inscrutable mother, Rachel has to decide if being with Nick is worth living in his family’s complicated world. For lots of laughs and gorgeous sets, catch “Crazy Rich Asians” on HBO Max.

“The DUFF”

With a similar vibe to 2004’s “Mean Girls”, “The DUFF” is a unique take on coming-of-age romance. The movie follows Bianca, a high school senior who decides to upend her life after learning her classmates’ nickname for her: the Designated Ugly Fat Friend. Sick of being overlooked, she employs Wesley, her popular next-door neighbor, and ex-childhood best friend, to help. If you like tongue-in-cheek humor with a healthy dose of sarcasm, check out “The DUFF” on Netflix.

“Blended”

Count this as a placeholder for all Adam Sandler – Drew Barrymore flicks. The pair play single parents who want nothing to do with each other after a failed blind date. In a signature twist of fate, their families end up at the same African safari resort, forcing them together once again. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore fans can stream “Blended” on Netflix and HBO Max.

“Stardust”

If you like a bit of fantastical adventure thrown in with your romance, look no further. “Stardust” takes place in a realm quite like our own…with a few key differences. Lightning can be caught, curses can be cast and stars fall to the earth. Tristan has never been outside his tiny village of Wall, but when he seeks a fallen star to prove his love, a whole new world opens in front of his eyes. With a colorful cast of characters and just the right amount of magic, “Stardust” deserves a top spot on your Netflix watchlist.

“Love, Simon”

Based on the sweet and endearing YA novel “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda”, “Love, Simon” is a coming-of-age story following– you guessed it– Simon, a high schooler who is in love with a boy named Blue. The problem is, Simon and Blue have never met in person…knowingly, at least. Caught between his desire to learn Blue’s true identity and a hesitancy to share his sexuality with the world, Simon’s life is about to get much more complicated. For a down-to-earth and genuinely moving teen romance, see “Love, Simon” on Hulu.

“Mamma Mia!”

Like a little summer fun and a whole lot of music on your watchlist? “Mamma Mia!” is the movie for you. Featuring the songs of ABBA and starring Amanda Seyfried alongside Meryl Streep, “Mamma Mia!” follows a mother and daughter on the eve of the daughter’s wedding. With three possible fathers and a whole lot of hijinks, hilarious (and musical) chaos ensues. If you’re in the mood for a fun-filled classic, check out “Mamma Mia!” on Amazon Prime.