Student Hearing Officer selection process announced

Applications are due December 2

Courtesy of Hawk Link

The Student Hearing Officer application can be found on Hawk Link under Student Senate’s page.

Selected students will now be members of panels hearing cases for incidents involving bias, harassment, interpersonal conflict and other code violations with the exception of Title IX according to a Nov. 27 email to all students from Vice President of Student Life Dr. John King.

King said in the email that Student Senate and Student Life have been incorporating feedback from students and collaborating on “returning to the practice of involving trained student hearing officers as members of student conduct panels.”

Student Senate said they are excited about this change in the conduct process and acknowledged that “this is an important first step in continuing to improve the Student Conduct System through a comprehensive review process during the spring semester.”

In order to be eligible for a student hearing officer position, students must meet the following requirements: A minimum of a 3.0 GPA, an acceptable student conduct history (minor infractions do not rule out candidates,) full sophomore year standing in credits, have the commitment to attend necessary training at the start of the spring semester and once trained there will be a signed confidentiality agreement.

Current seniors are not eligible for these student hearing officer positions.

Interested students can apply to be trained student hearing officers on the Student Senate Hawk Link page or fill out the form on Hawk Link. Applications are due Thursday, Dec. 2 at 5 p.m.

After applications have been received, Student Senate will make conditional appointments and forward to Student Life through the Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution Office (SCCR).

SCCR will then conduct a disciplinary history check and a brief interview leading to a confirmation of the Senate appointment or a request for additional candidates.

Appointees will be required to participate in training in January and February.

According to King’s email, the goal is to begin using students as members of panel hearings with an administrator and a faculty member in February 2022.