What’s in store for clubs and organizations this semester

The+SPLO+office+is+located+in+the+Recreation+Center+in+Suite+206.+Student+leaders+can+visit+and+propose+event+ideas+for+their+club+or+organization.+

Amy Martin/The Hawks' Herald

The SPLO office is located in the Recreation Center in Suite 206. Student leaders can visit and propose event ideas for their club or organization.

With the new semester starting, it’s time for clubs and organizations to meet up again and plan for fun events at Roger Williams University. As opposed to last year, meetings and events are back to being held in person.

Even though COVID restrictions are not as strict this semester, there are still safety precautions taking place. Masks are still required for indoor gatherings, including for club meetings, classes, etc. There are also capacities in various spaces, not only to keep everybody safe, but also to ensure that there are enough seats for members. With more events in the coming weeks, the university can see what they can and can’t do in terms of gatherings.

“I think it’s a great way for our students to be able to connect in person, even with wearing masks,” said Carol Sacchetti, Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Student Programs, Leadership & Orientation (SPLO). “You’re still together and you get to make those connections.”

The Involvement Fair is taking place on the Quad on Wednesday, Sept. 7, where new and returning students can meet student leaders and learn more about the university’s clubs and organizations.

“The clubs and organizations are going to be able to share with prospective members what they do, from meeting in person to having events to having lectures,” Sacchetti said.

Much like before, and even pre-COVID, any club or organization can propose an event to SPLO. Student groups are welcome to use the SPLO office and work with the SPLO staff to plan events.

“We want to work with student clubs and organizations to see what their ideas are and how to make it a reality,” Sacchetti stated.

While working virtually last year felt limiting, it can now help clubs and organizations reach a new level of accessibility. For instance, some groups use Discord channels to communicate, allowing them to engage more with their members.

“I’m excited, as I’m sure most of the student body, specifically our club and organization leaders, to put out events, meetings, programs and services to benefit the RWU community,” Sacchetti said. “I think most people are excited to see what we’re all capable of.”