College graduate hiring increases for the class of 2021

Amanda Plasse, Herald Reporter

Employers are projecting a 7.2% increase in hiring for college graduates from the class of 2021 than the Class of 2020, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE.)

“The rebound in hiring suggests optimism on the part of employers, fueled by expectations around the reopening of shuttered businesses, COVID-19 vaccine distribution, and the addition of jobs to the economy,” according to NACE.

Senior and Student Body Treasurer of Student Senate Jacob Hartzler said the state of the job market and economy has made people lean towards going to graduate and law school.

“The current job market has had a major impact on my future,” said Hartzler. “Although I was planning to go to law school and never seriously considered entering the job market, the current state of our economy in the wake of the pandemic has pushed many people to pursue law and graduate programs in lieu of entering the workforce.”

The current job market is better than it was last year when the pandemic was at its peak, but it still does not compare to what was seen in 2019.

Hartzler also mentioned that the 2021-2022 admissions cycle is the most competitive in 25 years because of the number of people applying, limiting the options and reducing the number of scholarships available.

Based on the Spring 2021 Quick Poll: Summer Internships and Fall Recruiting conducted by NACE, it is projected that only 43% of employers expect to conduct hybrid internship programs this summer and only 50% of employers expect to engage in both in-person and virtual activities in fall 2021.

Of the 207 total respondents, the Job Outlook 2021 Spring Update survey found, “almost 30% of respondents now report that they will hire more new college graduates – up from 16.5% in the fall – and just 8% plan to decrease hiring, down significantly from 31% reporting such plans in the fall.”

Based on the 2021 Internship & Co-op Report, 66.4% of eligible interns converted to full-time employment and 79.9% of eligible interns received a job offer.

At Roger Williams University, there is a Center for Career & Professional Development, which can be used to help students find an internship or different job opportunities. Their office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

To contact the Center for Career & Professional Development, you can either email [email protected] or call (401) 254-3224.