Behind the bat with Emma MacLean

Kristen Dansereau

Sophomore Emma MacLean sprints her way to first base in a game against Nichols on March 27, 2021. The final score was 11-1 giving Roger Williams University another win.

Kristen Dansereau, Sports Manager

Sophomore Emma MacLean has been playing softball for nearly 14 years. Her love of the sport stemmed from her parents who both played sports growing up. When she was around five or six years old, they asked her if she wanted to try softball and it took off from there.

“I think I remember saying ‘what’s softball’ and they signed me up for the town league,” MacLean said. 

Not only does MacLean currently play at the collegiate level but she has also taken up coaching for her old club team. She said she has learned a lot about the sport as an assistant coach, regarding how to teach others and how to reflect on herself as a player. Her passion extends to helping other players be the best athletes they can be.

“As an assistant, I didn’t think my role would be that big until my players came up to ask me for hitting advice and fielding drills and how they can do better both in practice and during a game. I found out that I know so much about the sport,” MacLean said.

The few hours a day she gets to spend playing softball are hours when she pours herself into the game and forgets about everything else. She said it gives her peace even on off days because there is nowhere else she would rather be.

MacLean recently discovered another hobby that she loves.

“Besides softball, one of my hobbies is weightlifting which not a lot of people know about,” MacLean said. “The last few years I’ve really gotten into it and a bunch of teammates do it and my friends do as well. It also helps me get stronger and ready for softball in the off season… it’s something that I’ve really gotten into and really enjoy.”

MacLean hopes to have a sports-related career to stay in close proximity to sports that have had a huge impact on her life. She will always have fond memories of her softball experience.

“It somehow feels like it went by so fast but I don’t regret a single moment of it at all,” MacLean said.