University announces commencement plan

No guests allowed at the in-person graduate walk

Courtesy of @superawesomevectors

Two guests per graduate will now be allowed at the university’s in-person graduate walks.

Roger Williams University will be holding a virtual commencement ceremony and in-person graduate walk for the class of 2021, according to an announcement from university President Ioannis Miaoulis this morning. The walk will be livestreamed — due to COVID-19 restrictions, no guests are allowed.

On Saturday, May 22, RWU will present both the virtual ceremony and livestream event. The virtual ceremony will highlight the keynote speaker, student National Anthem Singer and student commencement speaker. All undergraduate and graduate students from the class of 2021 will have their name read and be honored regardless of whether they attend in person or virtually.

The graduate walk will be presented by each school and live streamed through RWU’s commencement website from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on May 22. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, graduates will have to wear masks at all times and maintain social distancing where possible during the graduate walk. Participants will also be required to receive a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to arriving on campus for the in-person event.

The graduate walk ceremony will feature a custom slide presentation for each graduate with their name, degree and a personalized message they want to share. In-person attendees will walk across the stage in the campus Recreation Center and receive their diploma cover as their name is read. Pre-registration for the in-person walk will be required.

“Please join us, from wherever you are in the world, for a Commencement ceremony honoring your special day,” Miaoulis said. “I can’t wait to have this opportunity to celebrate the class of 2021 and to commemorate these truly remarkable years.”