My Life as a Statue

Emily Dvareckas

The Roger statue is thankful for the students on campus and wishes everyone a safe and healthy break and will be waiting for everyone to come back.

Gobble Gobble Hawks,

Well, you have almost made it. Time flies when you’re stuck to a rock, I suppose. I know it has been a rough semester for many of you, but I want you to know that your hard work does not go unnoticed. I myself am proud of each and every Hawk that walks this campus, physically or virtually.

If I could show any emotion other than the one plastered on my face, I would shed a tear. You’ve been put in a situation no one could have dreamed of and yet, you took it in stride and made it three months on campus safely. I’m proud of everyone who saw the significance of staying in to keep themselves and those close to them safe.

The changes you have had to face may not have been ideal, but I hope you can see the positives, as I have. Personally, I was able to bear witness to more activities than I normally am, like dance practices and scavenger hunts. This semester showed me how you are able to adapt to any new normal. I’m hoping to learn from you because I have not had an easy time adapting to being immobile. It has been years since I was created and I still forget that my legs don’t move and I can’t put this book down. My arms hurt!

I hope you all have a splendid time with your families and that you all continue to take the precautions you’ve taken this semester at home. The holidays are usually stressful, but I hope everyone can appreciate the time they get to spend with loved ones. I’ll be waiting for you and am excited to see you all in the spring semester. If you ever need me, you know where to find me!