It’s the Great Pumpkin Carve-Off

A+work-in-progress+pumpkin+with+the+carving+kit+handy+nearby.+

Amy Martin

A work-in-progress pumpkin with the carving kit handy nearby.

Amy Martin, Features Editor

The beginning of Campus Entertainment Network’s (CEN) Wicked Week has started off strong! After a display of some great costumes on the organization’s Instagram story on Monday, Oct. 26, the Great Pumpkin Carve-Off was ready to begin.

As a co-sponsorship with Habitat for Humanity, students were able to carve pumpkins for free on Tuesday, Oct. 27, after RSVPing on Hawk Link. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., students were able to swing by CEN’s Table Times outside the Rec Center to pick up their pumpkins and carving kits. In each Hyde & Eek! Boutique carving kit, there were five different tools that could be used, which were a detailer, a poker, carver, a tracer and a scooper. There were also instructions inside the front cover of how to carve a pumpkin using one of the eight stencil photos included as a guide.

Once students had their pumpkins, they were given the rest of the day to work on their carvings! Between 7-9 p.m., along with a live viewing of “Halloweentown,” the finished designs were able to be submitted to @rwucen on Instagram for a chance to win top prizes. The 1st place winner received a JBL Flip 5 Eco Edition Speaker, the 2nd place winner received a Roger Williams University Sweatshirt and the 3rd place winner received a CEN/Habitat for Humanity Swag Bag.

From 9-10 p.m., ten pumpkins were posted on CEN’s Instagram story for students to vote. When 10 p.m. finally came around, CEN announced on their story the three winners of the Great Pumpkin Carve-Off!

Pumpkin carving is a classic Halloween activity. While it may take a lot of muscle to saw into the gourd, and then scoop out the pulp and seeds, the results are worth it! It almost would not be Halloween without the room smelling of pumpkin.

Nothing says spooky season is here without a pumpkin friend to guard your door!