Films to check out this fall

It’s that time of the year when the leaves change color, and we start to get into campfires, colder weather and of course spooky season. What way better to celebrate this year than bundled up inside with a good movie? Here are 10 films to check out right now.

“Knives Out”

In this fun 2019 thriller comedy, we have mass detectives and private eye Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) dealing with the death of family patriarch Harlan Thrombey, a famous horror novel writer. The movie is set in a house where every member of the family could be a suspect and is full of twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

“Good Will Hunting”

This classic 1997 drama follows the story of Will Hunting (Matt Damon), a janitor at MIT with a genius level intellect who after being viewed solving a graduate level math problem is taken in by a professor who helps him reach his true potential. This film not only contains a variety of fun quotes like “how ‘bout dem apples” but also offers a look into the lives of people our age who are still figuring things out.

“The Social Network”  

The 2010 film adapted from the book “Accidental Billionaires” follows a young Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg) as he reaches popularity from users and infamy from the people he wronged in the creation of the social media platform Facebook. This following of a college level Mark to former youngest billionaire is a steady paced film that draws you in the more you watch.

“Remember the Titans”

This 2000 Disney film follows the true story of new Head Coach Herman Boone (Denzel Washington) as he works to get a high school football team together during the school’s first year as a racially integrated school. This film very much portrays the fall time by showing the football season and giving every viewer the feeling of being back at a classic game.

“Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone”

This 2000 childhood classic tells the beginnings of Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) and his journey into the wizarding world where he begins to make new friends, learns to fly brooms and stops the evil Dark Wizard who murdered his parents.

“Halloweentown”

What better way to celebrate the spooky season than with a childhood classic from 1998? This Disney original film follows the three Cromwell children who, after discovering their grandmother is a witch, follow her to the mythical land of Halloweentown — a place where all monsters live in harmony.

“It”

This 2017 take on Stephen King’s book shows the children of Derry, Maine, working together to fight off an evil clown with supernatural powers who preys on the kids of the town every 27 years. A wonderful film filled with slight scares comes off as more of a mystery film with comedy than that of horror.

“Spiderwick Chronicles”

I bet the name of this film reopened a memory you might have forgotten. This 2008 adventure film follows Jared, Simon and Mallory Grace who uncover a secret world of ogres, goblins and more after moving into an old home and finding the notebook of the past owner, Arthur Spiderwick.

“Gremlins”

A fan-favorite for horror films, this 1984 creation follows a teenager who is gifted a mogwai (a small, fluffy, furry creature) for Christmas that he names Gizmo. Taking care of a mogwai is relatively easy considering that it has three rules to taking care of it: don’t get it wet, don’t put it in sunlight and do not feed it after midnight. Naturally, this teen breaks all the rules, leading to a variety of mogwais that spawn from Gizmo that turn into the reptilian counterparts called Gremlins. This is a wonderful horror comedy that is fun for all ages.

“Mean Girls”

While we have already passed Oct. 3, “Mean Girls” is a 2004 comedy drama following Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) as she moves into a new high school in Illinois and learns of the realities of high school cliques. This film was produced by Lorne Michaels, the creator of Saturday Night Live.