Family Days replace Homecoming and Family Weekend

Families have the opportunity to visit campus under new restrictions

With events only happening online and holidays being instruction days, campus life has changed drastically this semester. Students have been discouraged from returning home and guests are not allowed on campus. To try to allow students the opportunity to see their families and replace Homecoming and Family Weekend, the university is hosting Family Days.

Family Days will consist of three separate Saturdays on Sept. 26, Oct. 3 and 10. Families can register to come to campus to see their students and partake in outdoor activities, such as a walking tour, scavenger hunt and student performances.

Only three family members are allowed to come to campus and must register beforehand for a four hour time block of either 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. or 3-7 p.m.

Carol Sacchetti, assistant dean of students and director of Student Programs, Leadership and Orientation, was on the planning committee for Family Days and has worked to make the event as safe as possible for members of the RWU community.

“The university has seen a large amount of families coming to campus during the weekends,” Sacchetti said. “We have really tried to limit the amount of families coming for each shift.”

The Homecoming committee and upper administration were involved in the decision-making and planning process, which had been happening since the beginning of summer.

Students on campus were not widely informed about the event in advance, with some not knowing about it until very recently.

“I personally think we should’ve gotten the heads up a bit sooner but other than that I’m happy it’s happening. I think a family weekend for a few hours will keep people from going home, which is good,” said Joe Brown, a junior communications major.

Other students are not as happy about the event and the increased number of people that will be on campus.

“It’s a bad idea,” said junior biology major Makayla DeCesare.

“I feel really uncomfortable with the Family Days because they are trying to impose all these restrictions on the students and now all of a sudden they are going to allow families from all over New England (and beyond that) to visit Roger and think that’s safe?” said junior criminal justice major Alexis Freel.

“This doesn’t make sense at all. I know I’m personally going to be staying in my dorm as much as possible and my suite-mates feel the same,” Freel said. “They are annoyed with the whole situation.”

Families will be asked screening questions before they come and are required to wear masks at all times when on campus.

“Our hope is we limit these days, that families will come on these days when there is staff around, when there is information reminding families to not enter into any buildings and to wear masks,” Sacchetti said.

No one will be allowed inside residence halls during these days and families are asked to stay outside while they are visiting.

“We are encouraging families to sit outside, bring a picnic, get lunch to go, spend time socially distancing from other people,” Sacchetti said.