Possible return of intramural sports

Athletics and students are looking forward to bringing back sports in a safe way

Megan Julian, Sports Editor

On Aug. 31, an email sent out by Marty Kelly, men’s lacrosse coach and intramural and recreational coordinator, addressed that the university is trying to bring back intramural sports for the fall semester.

“We are still trying to navigate these uncharted waters and see what sports we can offer in a safe environment for participants and workers,” Kelly wrote in the email.

“We understand the importance of getting folks out and about, working off some stress and getting the competitive juices going again, so we will get information out as soon as possible once things have been decided.”

Michael Gallagher, associate director of athletics, said intramurals have been a large topic of discussion.

“We have been trying to find the balance of wanting to offer programming to the campus community but in a safe and responsible manner,” Gallagher said.

As of now, traditional programs will be put on hold but Athletics is attempting to do some outdoor leagues later in the semester if they are allowed.

“At this point we are refocusing our efforts to individual activities: Corn hole tournaments, tennis challenges, workout challenges, virtual 5ks,” Gallagher said. “We are trying to think creatively of other individual activities.”

Gallagher said he’d also welcome suggestions from the student body.

Students who have played intramural sports in the past are looking forward to the sports coming back but do have some concerns.

“One concern is with the sports that are more physical like basketball and soccer,” said senior John Chave who has been competing in intramural sports here for the last three years.

“In volleyball, there is a net between the two teams and the only contact that the two teams share is with the volleyball,” Chave said. “With sports like basketball and soccer, it will be interesting to see what the school will change with the rules in order to keep the students safe.”

Chave has previously played indoor volleyball, outdoor beach volleyball, soccer and basketball.

“I did not believe that they would return when still dealing with COVID-19,” Chave said. ”I am glad to see that the school is still trying to give the students a chance to play them.”

Chave said he is still deciding if he wants to return to playing or not if these sports return.

“If the school can figure out a safe way to have them, then I will happily start playing again,” Chave said.