Roger After Dark

Kiersten Resch Features Editor – At Roger Williams University, freshmen students leave their cars at home so they can experience all of the activities we have to offer. Unlike many other academic institutions, Roger Williams University provides students with fun activities on campus in a substance free environment. Roger After Dark is a fun Friday night alternative to going out on the weekends, ensuring that students remain safe as well as entertained. Roger After Dark, or RAD, is a program that offers free food, games, and prizes for students to enjoy together. Last Friday, the Atrium of Global Heritage Hall was filled with students for the first night of Roger After Dark this semester. The students all enjoyed chicken wings while laughing with the karaoke singers.

Sophomore Peer Mentor Maddy Zammarelli went to the first night of Roger After Dark to host the event alongside other members of the Center for Student Academic Success, as well as socialize with some of the new students. She had many positive comments on the evening concerning Roger After Dark. “RAD is a great program for any RWU college student to get involved in. No matter who you are or what type of activities you enjoy, Roger After Dark provides fun events and games for every person. The program keeps you busy through entertaining things like [a] photo booth and karaoke to pizza and snacks,” Zammarelli said.

Roger After Dark is an initiative that takes place every other week in Global Heritage Hall, and is hosted by members of the RAD programming group sometimes with the additional help of another office on campus. The combination of activities also allows new students and returning students to meet others and make new friends outside those who live in their residence halls. Approximately 74 to 100 students attend RAD each night it is held, but the first event of the year always has record breaking attendance. What would bring college students together more than free food, music, and t-shirts? When making a decision on what to do on Friday night, Roger After Dark is certainly one option to consider.