Tutoring Center spotlight

Jenna Campisi

Features Manager

There’s that one class you just can’t seem to understand. All-nighters, flash cards, multicolored highlighters, Quizlets, and lots of caffeine just don’t seem to do the trick. Fortunately, there’s one more place you can find help on campus whether you’re aiming for that A or struggling to pass.

Located on the second floor of the university library, the Tutoring Center is free and available to students of all years, whether you’re an undecided undergraduate or a standout senior.

Both faculty tutors and peer tutors are available for writing, math, and science, and the Tutoring Center is open six days a week. Between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. through 3 p.m. on Fridays, and 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Sundays, the flexible hours are sure to fit somewhere in any busy schedule.

To see a peer tutor, students can walk right in with no appointment necessary; however, if planning on meeting with a faculty tutor, it is advised that students sign up for appointments. One can make an appointment at the log-in desk immediately inside the door of the Tutoring Center.

The Writing Center provides tutoring from both faculty and peers for all students who are either enrolled in writing courses or are involved in writing-related projects.

“I’d recommend the writing center for anyone writing anything for any class, whether it’s a paper or a paragraph,” said freshman Kalasia Richer. “It has helped me so much eliminating errors in my work.”

The Math Center assists all members of the university community with their math courses and math-related assignments for other courses. The Math Center also sponsors the “Tutor in the Classroom” program as a part of its tutoring services.

Last but not least, the Science Center is available for students looking for some extra help. Tutors also conduct review sessions and some tutors attend the class for which they are tutoring in order to keep current with class readings, assignments, class discussions, and lectures.

Caroline Leblanc is a sophomore and chemistry major who spends time tutoring her peers in the Science Center.

“I was nervous going into this because I haven’t done anything like it before. However, it’s been a really good experience as a tutor,” she said. “Not only do I get to help people, it helps me at the same time.”

It’s also important to remember that even after the library closes, Global Heritage Hall is open around the clock if you’re looking for a safe haven to study away from your room.