Roger Williams theatre takes its own spin on a Monty Python classic

Jenna Webb

Herald Contributor

For the final show of the academic year, Roger Williams University’s Theater Department performed “Monty Python’s Spamalot: The Musical.” Based off the 1975 film “Monty Python and the Holy Grail,” the show was originally performed on Broadway in 2005 and won numerous Tony Awards, including the Tony Award for Best Musical of the 2004-2005 season.

The show boasts a wide range of students in its cast, with students of all four academic years involved. The show stars Nicholas Corey as King Arthur, Blake Sherman as Sir Galahad, Henry Young as Sir Robin, Nicholas Bergquist as Lancelot, Maggie Everett as Patsy, and Emily Rizzo as The Lady of the Lake. The show is also supported by the large ensemble cast of Allison McPhail, Mitchell Kiliulis, Will Jaworksi, Kate Stevenson, Cheesy Luis, Daniel Perkins, Amanda Vincent, Emmy Delmonico, Annie Keller, Alex Bowden, Christian Tarr, and Mae Van Rossum.

For senior Blake Sherman, this was his last performance at the Barn after performing in the spring musical all four years.

“I wanted to finish my college career with a bang, and Spamalot was a perfect show to do that with,” Sherman said. “It’s such a funny show, and we really put all of our blood, sweat, and tears into the process.”

As a result of the show being such a grand performance, the rehearsal process started earlier in the semester, and many late nights were spent in the Barn with the cast and crew. Some nights, students ended up staying almost past midnight. Along with late night rehearsals, many of them also had to juggle classes, homework, other involvements, and even some senior events.

Directed by Professor Jeffrey Martin, the show also had a large freshman involvement, something that has not been common with shows in the past.

“Having so many freshmen wanting to be involved is really cool to see,” said junior stage manager Anthony Martin. “I’ll be a senior next year and I’m directing my senior thesis, so having so many freshmen wanting to be a part of everything in the barn is great.”

Sparkly costumes, large props, and a band to the side are also included in the numerous things the stage managers and director have had to keep track of. While the show is spectacular on stage, it’s also easy to see how many students are working on the show backstage and how much work they’re putting in to make sure the show goes off without a hitch.

“The late nights and hard work really pay off in the end,” Sherman said. “Every cast and crew becomes a family at the end, and I’m really proud of the work we’ve all done. It was a great way to end my senior year.”

“Spamalot” is still showing this weekend at the Barn Performing Arts Center on April 28 and April 29 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $5 for students, $10 for general admission, and reservations can be made by calling 401-254-3666.