Ice hockey routs Siena College 8-3

Tyger Allen, Herald Reporter

FALL RIVER, Mass. — Following a 6-5 overtime win, the Roger Williams club men’s ice hockey team took on Siena College at Driscoll Arena, coming away with an 8-3 rout.

Almost immediately after the first drop of the puck, Nicholas Hart rang the puck off the post, but it deflected into the net for the first goal of the game. Shortly after this, the Hawks flooded the Saints’ zone and generated some opportunities. Freshman Christian Brinkley crossed into the offensive zone and took a shot on goal and immediately turned to the bench for a line change. As he turned, his shot squeaked through the Siena goaltender for the second goal of the game.

After the second goal on as many shots, Siena had a goaltender substitution and put Zac Rentz into the game for the struggling Jarred Davis. Rentz was immediately tested, but surrendered a goal that put the Hawks up 3-0. Siena became visibly upset as the hole deepened and received two minor penalties which gave Roger Williams a 5-on-3 power-play. Quick puck movement by the Hawks gave Nicholas Hart his second of the game to give them a four-goal lead.

“We were feeling good, put a few lucky ones in there and we were all over them,” said forward James Durante. “We just kept playing our game, they can play as chippy as they want, that’s not going to break us off our game.”

Siena, now looking to generate their frustration towards gameplay, generated a few scoring chances, but all were stopped by junior goaltender Marc Frederick.

To begin the second, Siena regrouped and scored two goals to cut the Hawks’ lead in half. Senior defenseman Jonathan Panarelli took a shot from the point that found its way to the back of the net to put a stop to the Saints’ comeback. This goal sparked a rush of chances for the Hawks, but Rentz stopped all shots until senior Sean Stewart’s point shot found its way through a crowd to give his team a 6-2 lead.

On a controversial call, a Hawks shot from the blue line appeared to cross into the goal, hit the back of the net, and come immediately out. The officials gave the ‘no goal’ sign and play continued. Fans in the building were audibly displeased with the call as they had begun celebrating. Siena capitalized on the confusion and scored their third of the game.

Riding a three-goal lead, the Hawks began the third period in a more relaxed way and let eight minutes tick off the clock before finding the back of the net for their seventh goal of the game. Jeremy Lawton scored his second in two games and gave the Hawks a comfortable 8-3 lead. As time wound down, the Hawks continued to fight for more goals, but time expired before any more could go in.

“We just [have to] never stop,” said Durante. “If you quit, that’s how you let a team back in the game.”