Hungry? Head to these hot dining spots on campus

Upper Commons, the main dining area, is arranged in a buffet style divided into different sections, including the Grill (burgers, fries, hot dogs, etc.), “Classics” (chicken/steak, potatoes, fish, etc.), “Cucina” (Italian food), “Global” (stir-fry and Mexican food), a salad bar and a desert table. On service, Upper Commons employee Shaque Pina says that they pride themselves on “great food, great service and great quality,” while student Matt Tallino says he likes it both because of the food and how easily accessible it is.

Lower Commons is arranged more like a store, and carries a mix of foods including pizza, burgers, fries, sushi and salads. Megan Pacheco, an employee there, says that she sees the most attendance from 12 to 1:30 p.m., and then later at 5 p.m. She also says that it is the best place to go for takeout meals, while student Joe Brown says that he and other students like it there because they always know the food is going to be good.

The Recreation Center is home to the Hawk’s Nest, which is arranged a lot like a coffee house, and in addition to coffee, serves bagels, pastries, and smoothies during the day, along with packaged sandwiches and salads. Miranda Roges, an employee there, says that she sees the most attendance from 1 to 2 p.m., and that their most popular items are their smoothies, particularly the “Bristol Berry” and “Jazzberry Jammer.” 

Located in CAS is a food stand called Café Express, which is open from 7:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, and carries baked goods (muffins, brownies, etc.), candy, crackers, wraps and a wide assortment of drinks. Melissa Duponte, an employee there, says that she sees the most customers in the hours before 9 a.m., and that they are most likely students with early morning classes who don’t have time for a full breakfast. She says that the most popular food item there is the wraps and while all of the drinks are fairly popular, the iced coffee is especially popular so early in the morning.

Two famous coffee chains — Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts — have taken up residence at RWU. Starbucks is located on the ground floor of GHH and only open from Monday to Friday. Angelica do Alvarado, an employee there, says that she sees the most attendance from 9 to 1 p.m. on any given day (the most being on Tuesdays and Thursdays), and that their most popular food item is their chicken club, while their most popular drink is the Caramel Macchiato.

Dunkin’ Donuts is located in the convenient store in New Res and is open every day of the week. Teressa O’Brien, who works in the Dunkin’ Donuts, says that she sees the most attendance from 8 to 10 a.m., and that their most popular item is iced coffee of any flavor.

The School of Law is home to a bistro that is open from 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday to Friday and serves soup, sandwiches, wraps, burritos, and bagels, among other items. Allan Dupres, who works at the bistro, says that they see the most attendance from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., and later from 10:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on any given day. He says that their most popular items are their grain bowls, burritos, bagels (particularly bacon, egg and cheese) and home fries.