Dance Club members dance the night away in annual spring showcase

Do you feel better when you’re dancing? If not, you will at least feel better watching RWU’s Dance Club members perform the intricate pieces they worked on all semester long.

Dance Club held its annual spring semester showcase Wednesday night in the Field House. The show, fittingly titled “Better When I’m Dancing,” featured exclusive performances from current club officers and general members of the group. 

There were 23 dances in the show, all taking on different styles, from contemporary to tap and hip-hop. 

One of the crowd favorites was sophomore Natasha McLeod’s contemporary piece, “We Don’t,” which she choreographed to Ella Eyre’s version of “We Don’t Have To Take Our Clothes Off.” The six dancers involved wore short red dresses and their pained facial expressions truly captured the emotions behind the lyrics.

Current Secretary Lucia Petruccelli performed a hip-hop solo to “Pure Water” by Mustard featuring Migos, another favorite of the crowd. Cheers echoed from the audience as she started dancing. Sitting close to the front row of chairs was junior Elfreda “E” Hoff, who got up and started cheering and dancing along to Petruccelli’s song.

“Believe it or not, I picked this song and choreographed it three days ago,” Petruccelli said. “I was in the car and I heard that song come on my shuffle playlist. I was dancing to it and I was like ‘Hey, this is probably a good song to do my solo to.’” 

Cassie Myers, current president of Dance Club, was involved in choreographing multiple pieces for this semester’s show. She was particularly excited for her hip-hop piece, entitled “Emotional,” choreographed to a mix of Drake’s “I’m Upset,” “Undecided” by Chris Brown and “Wow.” by Post Malone. 

“My vibe was really just to have fun and make sure the crowd was enjoying it. That was really the goal and I’m really proud of everyone,” Myers said. “It’s going to be even better next year, I know it.”

Myers expressed how she feels about her last show with the club before graduating next month.

“It’s really bittersweet. I’ve worked so hard and I’ve watched these dancers grow. I’ve danced with some of them for four years and now it’s over so it’s kind of sad,” Myers said. “Also, I’ve been dancing since I was three so now it’s like really over. When you’re in high school and you’re graduating, you’re like ‘oh I got college,’ now college is over and it’s like ‘what’s next?’” 

Tonight’s show was the perfect time to announce the 2019-20 Dance Club officers. Next year’s e-board members include: President Lucia Petruccelli, Vice President Meghan Marchetti, Secretary Michaela Curcio and Treasurer Nicole Pike.

“I’m looking forward to meeting all the new freshmen that are going to come in next year,” Petruccelli said. “The new board members and I are really excited to get to know each other better and just continue the legacy.”