Eco Reps encourage students to help preserve the Earth with Recycled Art Show

First place winners Sara Hunt and Austin Clough created “Mountain Time,” a clock made with wood from fallen trees.
Saving the Earth can start with the smallest of contributions, including reusing a simple item that students consider throwing away. In celebration of Earth Week, the Eco Reps hosted its Recycled Art Show in the GHH Atrium from 7 to 9 p.m. on April 23. The Eco Reps are a student group at RWU dedicated to promoting sustainability across campus, with the art show being one of the many events they’ve hosted for that purpose. 

Participants were asked to create art pieces out of recycled materials, through which they would be giving these products “a second life,” instead of just throwing them away. Co-President of the Eco Reps, Deanna Rackie, and general member Joey Sullivan were the two judges for this event. They evaluated each piece based on sustainability, creativity, craftsmanship and overall composition. 

At the end of the show, three participants would ultimately be eligible for prizes. There were three sets of prizes, each being given away on a “first come, first serve” basis. One set of prizes consisted of a steel water bottle and an eco-friendly lamp. The second set consisted of the lamp, a t-shirt and a plastic water bottle, while the third consisted of the lamp, the plastic water bottle and a pack of steel straws. Additionally, gift cards were given to the first and second place winners.

First place winners were Sara Hunt and Austin Clough, with “Mountain Time,” a clock made with wood from fallen trees. The second place winner was Jack Lugliana, with “49er Sailboat,” a model of an Olympic sailboat made with Peace Tea cans. Meg Cardi came in third place, with the “R(recycled) W(waste) U(upcycled) Bridge,” which was a model of the Mount Hope Bridge made out of plastic bottle caps.

With all of the positive reception the Eco Reps have seen, Rackie said that it is possible they might host the art show next year.